Recently, our resident Fashion Stylist Engie Hassan of EngieStyle created a gorgeous spread for Coco Magazine featuring everyone’s favorite new trend: Summer Brights. Here she shares with us her tips for rocking this trend and popping like a pro:
Rules in fashion should not exist, but if there had to be one concept that everyone should stick to it would definitely be: always dress appropriately for where you are going and with who you want to be.
- Trying a pop of bright for the first time? Start with a top; a blazer is the easiest way. However, don’t try too much too soon. Begin with a color you already love so that you feel comfortable, but make it one or two tones brighter than normal. You can keep it simple by combining it with a basic tank or tee in colors such as white, black, brown, or navy.
- When you’re ready to try more make sure to mix up the colors. Do not do a mono colored outfit like wearing all yellow. Not everyone can pull of Big Bird. A way to successfully do this for work would be a fuchsia blazer, neutral pants, and green pumps. If you want to have more fun with mixing colors try a yellow dress with hot pink tights or an orange top with cobalt blue pants.
- Stay away from bright make up and bright clothing all in one look. That should be left for editorials.
- Make sure that the color(s) you are wearing work with your skin tone. Yellow is tricky. Usually cobalt blue works for all skin tones.
- Accessories are great for this trend. You can use them to tone down the look a bit by using wood and gold pieces. Or if you are a full out fashionista go for the neon accessories to compliment the bright outfit. Some great accessories for this are bags, necklaces, and watches. The best investment piece for brights is scarves. So if you are going to start purchasing for this trend, start there! They make a flawless transition from spring to summer.
Remember, this new trend is not the retro 80’s neon we used to know. It is more grown up with a soft and feminine touch.
Fashion Stylist Engie Hassan dresses some of the most glamorous women and men in the world. Engie has styled and personally shopped for royalty such as Princess Ameerah Al Taweel, celebrities such as Miranda Kerr, Lady Gaga and Kelly Choi, as well as a bevy of editors and models during Fashion’s key happenings including Mercedes Benz fashion week and The Met Gala.
Engie Hassan’s impeccable work can be seen on the red carpet and runways, as well as in magazines, print media and commercials. With a degree from FIT and an MA from NYU, as well as work experience at Vogue, Paris Vogue, Teen Vogue and Numero,Engie had the opportunity to work with some of the most sought after fashion stylists, editors, and photographers, providing her with a rare glimpse into the industry.
Engie pairs her vast experience with her innate and remarkable ability to style her clients in any way they would like to be perceived, while always maintaining their elegance. An avid traveler, Engie understands and draws from the fashions of different cultures, which has garnered her clients the world over. With modern energy and great flair, EngieStyle continues to offer exceptional style and service to clients by providing them with a highly personalized and unique experience. As of April 2011, Engie Hassan is the official Fashion Stylist for www.MyModel.com which is part of the Bauer Teen Network. For more details on Engie Hassan and EngieStyle’s broad array of expert services, visit www.engiestyle.com or call her agents Marcy Clark and Alex Beitler at Yellow Sky Agency, 212.729.9619.